Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mother Nature Is Still A Bitch

I hated her this winter and apparently, she's not quite done yet.

Now, I know I shouldn't be complaining about anything, with what E-biz, Michelle and the rest of Columbus, Lake Delton and other parts of WI are going through. But, it's my blog and I'll bitch if I want to.

I don't really have a basement in my house. I do, but it's really small. It has my water heater and furnace, a drain and that's about it. Back in April, the weekend that PE came to town, the pilot light went out on my water heater. I didn't know what the problem was, just that I had no hot water - turns out the pilot light went out and for $35, I got a plumber to come take a look and light it. It had rained like a bitch the night before and I got a little water in the basement, which put out the pilot light.

Well, with the 5 inches of rain Oshkosh got this past weekend, I got water in the basement, a lot more than last time, but not as much as other people (probably a couple of inches at its worst), but again, my light went out. I had enough hot water for a shower on Monday, but that was about it. I had a almost luke warm shower on Tuesday morning - it certainly helped wake me up. My dad came over last night to try and get it lit, but he couldn't really see what he was doing and didn't want to lay down in the water. Completely understandable, I didn't want to go down there at all.

Today I call the same plumber guy back and he tells me that it can't be lit if there's water under the water heater. I didn't know if there was, so I told him I'd have to look for sure when I got home and call him. I went down there and looked and there was a little bit of water under it, so I didn't call the plumber and ask him to come.

Oshkosh is forecast for up to another two inches tomorrow, so I had just decided to wait until Friday and deal with it then because it's probably going to go out again.

About 5:00 the plumbing guy shows up at my front door. I told him there was water underneath the heater and that's why I didn't call, but he said he'd take a look at it. Bastard got it lit. :D He recommended I call a sewer cleaning company because he thinks the drain is plugged because the water is still standing, so I'm going to do that tomorrow. I'm off on Friday (for what may be the last round of JD stalking) so I'm hoping I can find someone to come out and do that. If I can get rid of the water, I know my dad can get the pilot light lit.

Of course, it just started raining. Will this shit ever end?

Peace out, yo.

ETA: Ok, it rained for about 3 seconds - not enough to even make my deck wet. And Dad and I have a date with the basement on Friday - he thinks he may know what the problem is, so we're going to try and tackle that first before calling the sewer company. I'm going to need to go by rubber boots and gloves. *shudders* Blech.

No comments: